Thursday, February 7, 2008

US Route 20: The Longest Road in the United States

This blog will focus on US Route 20, at 3,365 miles (5,415 km), the longest road in the United States. It is an east-west road, beginning in the east in Boston Massachusetts at Kenmore Square at the junction of Route 2, and ending in the west in Newport, Oregon, at the junction of US 101, only one mile from the Pacific Ocean. While it travels through the country, it encounters National Parks, landmarks and sights, huge cities, and rural emptiness.

I live less than one half mile from Ohio US 20, in Mentor, which is on the shores of Lake Erie and about 25 miles east of Cleveland. Here, US 20 is called Mentor Avenue. I’ve always wanted to traverse the entire length of US 20, but only had the opportunity to visit a few places. Since it’s not practical for me now to make the complete road trip, I’m going to share my personal travels with some of the locations, plus highlight other interesting places that are on, and along, this long roadway.

I hope you’ll enjoy the trip!

The US Route 20 Blog homepage can be found here.

No comments: